Coronavirus in Spartanburg, SC
Official Advisories and Updates
The City of Spartanburg is providing official Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates and advisories at cityofspartanburg.org/coronavirus.
Cases of COVID-19, a new strain of coronavirus, began popping up in the United States in January. On March 7, the first presumptive positive case in Spartanburg was announced. This page will be continually updated with the latest news as well as a list of local resources.
Spartanburg COVID-19 Updates
- June 4, 2020 – Spartanburg County reports an increased total of 687 positive cases, 4,907 estimated total cases, and 25 deaths. South Carolina reports new totals of 13,005 positive cases and 525 deaths.
- May 27, 2020 – SC DHEC Director Rick Toomey resigns, citing family and health reasons. South Carolina reports a total of 466 deaths associated with COVID-19. Nationally, the total number of deaths approaches 100,000.
- May 22, 2020 – Gov. McMaster lifts restrictions on attraction facilities.
- May 13, 2020 – Gov. McMaster announces that additional close-contact service providers, such as gyms and salons, can begin operating in a limited capacity on May 18.
- May 4, 2020 – Gov. McMaster lifts the statewide “work-or-home” order.
- May 1, 2020 – Spartanburg County reports an increased total of 287 positive cases, 1,763 estimated cases, and 9 deaths. South Carolina reports new totals of 6,095 positive cases and 244 deaths.
- April 20, 2020 – Gov. McMaster announces that public beaches and certain stores may reopen. Spartanburg reports an increased total of 225 positive cases and 6 deaths.
- April 15, 2020 – Spartanburg reports an increased total of 191 positive cases and 5 deaths.
- April 6, 2020 – Gov. McMaster issues a statewide “home-or-work” order.
- April 5, 2020 – Spartanburg reports a total of 76 positive cases. South Carolina death total increases to 44.
- April 1, 2020 – Gov. McMaster issues an emergency order closing non-essential businesses. South Carolina reports three new deaths, bringing the state’s death toll to 22.
- March 31, 2020 – South Carolina reports its nineteenth Coronavirus fatality. Total number of Spartanburg cases increases to 37.
- March 26, 2020 – South Carolina reports its ninth death related to Coronavirus. Spartanburg reports an increased total of 9 positive cases.
- March 25, 2020 – BMW announces the temporary shutdown of BMW Plant Spartanburg beginning March 29, citing supply chain issues and health concerns as the driving factors.
- March 24, 2020 – Total number of Spartanburg cases increases to 3.
- March 17, 2020 – Mayor Knox issues a public statement urging social distancing. All city events are canceled until further notice, and city operations are modified.
- March 16, 2020 – South Carolina announces its first Coronavirus associated death. SRHS temporarily suspends all visitation to hospitals.
- March 15, 2020 – Officials close all public schools in South Carolina.
- March 8, 2020 – Spartanburg reports its first presumptive positive case.
- March 7, 2020 – South Carolina confirms its first two cases of coronavirus.
What You Need to Know
Symptoms – These symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure (based on the incubation period of MERS-CoV viruses): fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
Older Adults & Medical Conditions – Older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk for more serious complications from COVID-19.
Prepare Your Family – The CDC has created a list of what you can do to prepare your family in case COVID-19 spreads in your community.
Restaurants Offering Takeout and Indoor and Outdoor Dining
In addition to takeout and delivery, many of Spartanburg’s restaurants have reopened for indoor and outdoor dining. Visit our list of Spartanburg restaurants with takeout, dine-in, and outdoor service.
Whether you have a question about the Coronavirus or you just want to chat, visit our Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion forums to share what’s on your mind.
Other Local Resources
- Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System
- Local Volunteer Opportunities (United Way of the Piedmont)
- City of Spartanburg Coronavirus Portal
- SC DHEC
- Chapman Cultural Center Art Supply Donations
- Center for Disease Control
- Federal Disaster Unemployment Assistance
- CDC Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- Small Business Association Local Assistance Directory
- Treasury and IRS Tax Guidance
- OSHA Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
Last updated at 6:00 pm on June 4, 2020.