OneSpartanburg, Inc., recently announced a public-private partnership with Spartanburg County and the M Peters Group, an upstate real estate development company, to redevelop the former site of Clifton Mill Number Two.
Spartanburg County, who acquired the site in 2013 for $226,000, will transfer 30 acres to the M Peters Group who will invest approximately $60 million in private redevelopment and public improvements. Upon completion of significant enhancements, MPG will return approximately 19 acres to Spartanburg County as an improved public park.
Located in Greenville, SC, the M Peters Group specializes in transforming blighted land and abandoned buildings into places that contribute to the health, economic vitality, and quality of life of their communities. Optimistic about Spartanburg’s trajectory, MPG is vetting additional projects within Spartanburg County.
- An approximate 30-acre former mill site situated along Clifton Glendale Road will be redeveloped. The property borders the Pacolet River on both sides, is home to a spillover dam, and is partially utilized as Spartanburg County’s Clifton Park. The thoughtful project will maintain the area’s natural setting and retain existing riverside trails, picnic areas and access points.
- The multi-family development will include 239 modern market rate units, a blend of studios, 1, 2, and 3-bedrooms, offering brick balconies, natural light and river views. Led by award-winning firms Perkins & Will and SGA Narmour Wright Design, the architecture is inspired by the historic mill’s setting, architecture, massing, scale and materials.
- 7,000 SF of commercial space gives potential for a riverfront restaurant.
- MPG will build public facilities to serve Clifton Park beachgoers, as well as repave the existing parking area. A small playground area with parking lot will also be improved.
- MPG will improve an informal kayak put-in to become a formal livery, providing boat access to travel downriver for about 3 hours to reach a take out in Pacolet.
- MPG and Spartanburg County will partner to widen and straighten River Rd.
- PAL: Play. Advocate. Live Well! will expand the Daniel Morgan Trail System east with the addition of a 4.1 mile trail connector between Glendale and Clifton. The County and MPG will partner to develop a trail spur including a pedestrian bridge across the river connecting the site to the trail.
Clifton Mill, established in 1880, was home to Clifton Manufacturing. The surrounding mill village was everything to the families who lived and worked there: home, school, church, work and recreation. As quoted in Clifton, A River of Memories, by Michael Hembree and David Moore, the mill areas was described in 1881 as follows: ““The mill is located in a fertile district of a rolling county, which enjoys a splendid climate, in sight of the Blue Ridge. Situated at the foot of a hill, near the stream which furnishes a never ending supply of water, it has natural advantages of a superior order, which have been carefully utilized.”
Clifton Manufacturing began its economic decline in the 1960s. A story common to Southern textile communities, the loss of industry was devastating to the area. Once revered for its economic power and natural beauty, Clifton Mill was dismantled in the early 2000s, leaving expansive concrete slabs and construction debris along the riverbank. Spartanburg County purchased the former mill site in 2013 at the request of the community and developed the site into Clifton Park, a passive park which provides the public with parking, picnic areas and access to the Pacolet River.
Visit the OneSpartanburg, Inc. website for additional information.
Prepared by OneSpartanburg, Inc.